You can't beat a rich glass of red after a long day of motherhood!
And it seemed wrong not to celebrate all those wonderfully warm weekend lunches this summer without a glass
But oh my, those glasses can really add up!
I've been so good the last month about more exercise and eating healthily - and am feeling so much better for it. But then I go and ruin it all by having a glass or two too many, too often.
I hate feeling so sluggish the next day and really want more energy.
And I like the idea of going into the Christmas season ... and my birthday ... feeling and looking as good as I can. So I thought I would try and have two months of cutting right down.
I didn't get off to a great start today at a lunch with friends but I've dusted off all my fave tips - that have worked for me before - for drinking less.
I would love to hear your advice for cutting down on the "mummy juice" :-)
And if you've got recipes for gorgeous soft drinks do share them at the bottom of this post.
Easy Tips for Drinking Less
- Stock up on great soft drinks that you really love
- If you're going out decide in advance what soft drinks you're going to drink
- Always have a long soft drink before alcohol so drinking because thirsty
- After pouring a glass put the cork back in the bottle
- Take the wine bottle off the table
- When drinking white wine put the bottle back in the fridge after pouring
- For every alcoholic drink have a soft one
- Order small 125ml glasses of wine Drink - a large 250ml glass is a third of a bottle!
- Check out the strength of alcohol you're buying & buy lowest strength you can
- Let your friends & family know that you're cutting down, so you get their support
- Try & get friends & family to sign up to at least 4 free alcohol days
- Set yourself a weekly limit - at most half of what you typically drink
- Take small sips rather than knocking it back
- If you talk more, you'll drink less :-)
- Don't drink without eating
- Stock up with alternatives treats for when you're sad, tired, angry ...
- Practice saying no
- Avoid people who won't support your intention to give up
- Arrange to go out where drink not sold
- Write down how much money you can save by not drinking & stick it on the fridge
- Come up with alternative habits to mark "trigger" times - NO more "Drink O'Clock"!
- Come up with alternative habits to mark "trigger" days - NO more "TGIF Blow Out"!
- Whenever you can dilute alcohol with a mixer
- Write down the enjoyable benefits of cutting down e.g. more energy, better skin
- Just take it a day at a time!