What is it about bathrooms?
You spend an age cleaning them & they look like a tip the next day.
And then you come to hate cleaning them so much that they just get grottier and grottier.
But it is genuinely possible to have a super shiny bathroom on 5 minutes proper cleaning a week - honestly!
The clever trick is to stop doing a major clean and just to do a two minute wipe around ... and I literally mean two minutes ... every morning.
Plus a 20 second brush around the loo every evening.
Then once a week when you're in the shower quickly wipe down it and the bath with diluted dish liquid and a microfibre cloth.
The only actual cleaning you have to do is to put the vacuum on and quickly mop the floor.
Unless, you've got a much, much bigger bathroom than me that only takes 5 minutes ... the length of one episode of Peppa Pig who can provide excellent baby sitting services whilst you're doing it!
And if, like us Londoners, you're unlucky enough to have lime scale all over your shower and taps just soak them every now and again in some vinegar for a couple of hours or over night and hey presto they are all shiny without any rubbing!
How simple is that? But because I really never can resist a list ... here it is in list form ... :-)
1. Wipe Around for 2 Minutes Every Morning
After everyone's been through the bathroom ...
- Wipe around basin, bath top, taps & cistern with a damp microfibre cloth
- Rinse out tooth brush mug
- Wipe around bottom of electric tooth brush as these get gunky & horrid
- Push cloth down plug hole if you can for a few seconds as these also get gunky
2. Quickly Brush Around Loo Every Evening
Every evening whilst you're cleaning your teeth ...
- Put some toilet cleaner in the toilet
- Leave it for 2 minutes whilst you're brushing
- When you've finished your teeth brush around quickly with the loo brush & flush
3. Clean Shower & Bath When In It Once A Week
Once a week when you're in the shower ...
- Fill a spray bottle with a little gentle dish liquid & warm water
- Spray around bath & shower
- Wipe down with a micro fibre cloth
- Rinse down with the shower
- When you're out of the shower, wipe down the steamy mirror with a micro fibre window cloth
This should take 3 minutes tops and is great to do whilst you've got a hair or face mask on.
4. Vacuum & Mop Floor for 5 Minutes Once a Week
Unless you've a big bathroom it's quicker to use your vacuum dusting attachment to ...
- Get around floor fixtures
- Behind radiators
- Dust around mirrors, lights, door frames
Then quickly mop with some no rinse floor cleaner
5. Clean Shower Head & Taps With Vinegar Every Now & Again
The lime scale on your taps is calcium carbonate the same stuff as in egg shell so just as vinegar will dissolve an egg shell, it will also dissolve the lime scale on your shower and taps.
One of my fave cleaning blogs A Typical English Home shows the best way to do this
- Attach a bag full of vinegar to the shower head with an elastic band
- Soak cotton wool in vinegar and wrapping it around taps with cling film
If you're looking for more tips for cleaning or making over your bathroom do follow my housework board on Pinterest ....
And check out these fabulous posts from the Mommy Archive ...
More Bathroom Cleaning & Makeover Tips
This post has been shared at some of these lovely link parties including The Inspiration Exchange and A Bowlful of Lemons