|Copyright Rubbermaid 2010 - Creative Commons|
To prove a point in a rather heated argument - about the effort involved in housework - I counted up all the different things that we buy from the supermarket to keep the house vaguely clean and functioning.
There were over 75!
Yes - you heard me - 75 different things!
Is it any wonder that we spend a small fortune on shopping every week! Or that I need a dedicated shopping list to keep track of it all!
I'm sure we could cut this down a bit by using more natural products - like baking soda, and vinegar - and I am pinning lots of ideas for natural alternatives that you can check out at the bottom of the post.
But even with lots of natural alternatives I think it would be pretty hard to get this list to under 50 items ... What do you think? Are there things you manage without? Or would you add more
- Cleaning: Anti-bacterial spray, cloths, cream cleaner, lime-scale cleaner, rubber gloves, oven cleaner
- Dusting: Dusters, feather duster, wood polish spray, dusting spray
- Floors: Floor soap, quick floor cleaner, mop head, hoover bags, hoover filters
- Windows: Glass polishing cloth, window and glass cleaner
- Rubbish: Black bin bags, small bin bags
- Laundry: Clothes washing liquid, clothes washing power (whites), delicate washing liquid, fabric conditioner, laundry bleach, stain remover stick
- Stain Removal: Bicarb of soda, big bag of cheap salt, white vinegar
- Shoes: Shoe polish - neutral, colours, suede, shoe cleaning - brushes. shoe laces
- Bathroom: Loo brush, replaceable heads, loo paper, loo cleaner, loo freshener
- Food Care: Cling film, foil, greaseproof paper, kitchen roll, freezer bags, ice cube bags, bag clips
- Washing Up: Dish washing liquid, dish washing brush, dishwasher tablets, dishwasher rinse aid, scouring pads
- Hygiene: Anti-bacterial soap, anti-bacterial gel, hand stain remover
- Maintenance: Plug hole un-blocker, de-scaler liquid, silver polish
- Pest Repellent: Ant powder, fly & wasp spray, moth sachets
- Electrics: Batteries, fuses, bulbs
- Emergencies: Torches, candles, matches
- Stationary: Printer paper, printer cartridges, biros, blue-tack, envelopes, sellotape, stamps, staples, glue, wrapping paper
To help keep track of your household, you can download, save and print off this one page 75 things you need to run your house shopping list. and you can check out some ideas for natural alternatives on this Pinterest board ...
If you found this post useful, you might also enjoy ...
This post is linked up at A Bowlful of Lemons, Clean and Scentsible, Delightful Order, We Are That Family, By Stephanie Lynn, Whipperberry, More the Merrier Monday, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Sugar Bee Crafts, Home Stories A to Z, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Joyful Homemaking, Six Sisters Stuff, Serenity Now.